Safety warning Petzl ZigZag en ZigZag Plus
Petzl meldt problemen met de ZigZag, ZigZag Plus en Zillon die touwslip kunnen veroorzaken. In deze blog lees je hoe je kunt testen of jouw product deze gebreken vertoont. Ervaar jij problemen met jouw product? Neem dan contact met ons op. Je vindt deze informatie ook op www.petzl.nl
Safety Information vanuit Petzl
We have received reports of users experiencing rope slippage while using the ZIGZAG, ZIGZAG PLUS and ZILLON. Following these reports, we have identified two defects causing the slippage. We therefore ask you to do a manual inspection and a function test of your product, to detect any possible slippage. In case your product slips, we are providing details on our after-sales returns service.
This information concerns only the following products: ZIGZAG (D022AA00), ZIGZAG PLUS (D022BA00), ZILLON (L22A 025, L22A 040, L22A 055) with serial numbers between 18L 0000000 000 and 21G 0000000 000.
Customer returns alerted us to slippage with new or slightly used ZIGZAG / ZIGZAG PLUS / ZILLON products. Following our technical investigations, we were able to identify the causes of the slippage. They are related to a variance in our production process, resulting in two types of defects in the release levers on ZIGZAG, ZIGZAG PLUS and ZILLON:
- random malfunction of the spring effect of the upper release lever
- variance in the surface treatment resulting in a modification of the geometry of the release lever.
ZIGZAG, ZIGZAG PLUS and ZILLON release levers.
This production variance causes premature wear of the release levers, resulting in slippage that can be observed after a few months of use, or even on new products.
This situation leads us to three actions:
- Stop sales of current products. We are working to solve the problem with the goal of being able to deliver new products after November 1st, 2021.
- A request for inspection of your product by following two specific points of the PPE inspection procedure.
- An after-sales service offer to redress the inconvenience caused by slippage of your product (exchange or refund).
Inspection points to carry out on your ZIGZAG / ZIGZAG PLUS / ZILLON product
1. Inspecting the release levers
Check the effectiveness of the upper release lever return spring (1) and the mobility of the lower release lever (2) for ZIGZAG, ZIGZAG PLUS. Repeat the test at least ten times.
The levers should move freely without friction.
If the results of these tests are not satisfactory, immediately stop using your product and return your product by contacting your local after-sales service center with the contact form. If the release levers work, proceed to the next inspection point.
2. Function test
ZILLON: Hang on the lanyard in single mode at a very low height: there should be no slippage. When used in double mode, verify that pressure on the release lever allows smooth and controlled sliding of the rope.
ZIGZAG / ZIGZAG PLUS: perform a function test with your rope (compatible rope diameters: 11.5 to 13 mm). Install the ZIGZAG in double mode. Suspend yourself at a very low height.
When hanging from the ZIGZAG in double mode, there should be no slippage. Verify that pressure on the release lever allows smooth and controlled sliding of the rope.
If the results of these tests are not satisfactory, immediately stop using your product and return your product by contacting your local after-sales service center on the contact form.
If you have any doubt about the results of these tests, contact us via the contact form. These inspection points are in no way a substitute for a complete PPE inspection of your product following the procedure available on Petzl.com.
1. How do I find my serial number?
Serial numbers are indicated on the product:
2. Which rope should I use to test my ZIGZAG / ZIGZAG PLUS?
The test should be performed with your rope (compatible rope diameters: 11.5 to 13 mm). This test is valid for one device/rope combination. If you change the rope, the result of this test may be different (e.g. smaller diameter rope or new rope). Be sure to perform this test each time you change the rope, in accordance with the Instructions for Use.
3. My product is affected by this information and does not slip; should I return my product?
If you have inspected your product and it does not slip, you can continue to use your product. However, make sure to perform a function test before each use and whenever the rope is changed, in accordance with the Instructions for Use.
4. I am an end user. My product is affected by this information and is slipping. How do I return my product?
Contact your local after-sales service center on the contact form. Choose ''After Sales Service'' in the reason for the request.
We offer the following service: refund at the recommended retail price excluding VAT in your country, or an exchange starting November 1st, 2021. Return costs are at our expense.
5. My product is affected by this information. I carried out the inspection on my product, and it did not slip. However, I have experienced slippage in use. Why?
Because of the defects in the release levers, we have also noted that in use, under certain conditions (repeated loading on the same section of rope, use of a PANTIN-type foot ascender and/or small diameter rope), you may experience more significant and/or more frequent slippage.
If you find that the slippage you experience is acceptable in your practice, you can continue to use your product while monitoring for any increase in slippage. Otherwise, you can return your product to us by contacting your local after-sales service center on the contact form.
6. Is there more slippage with small diameter ropes?
Yes, there is more slippage if you use small diameter ropes such as FLOW. To limit slippage, you can use a larger diameter rope within the authorized diameter range. Be sure to perform a compatibility test before use.
7. My ZIGZAG / ZIGZAG PLUS / ZILLON is not affected by this information but it is slipping. What should I do?
Any sign of slippage or poor locking may indicate that the device is worn. Be sure to perform a complete inspection of your product by following the PPE inspection procedure.
8. Have there been any injuries with the products affected by this information?
To date, no injuries have been reported to Petzl. We have only received reports of inconvenience related to slippage.
9. How many products are affected by these defects?
All products with serial numbers between 18L 0000000 000 and 21G 0000000 000 are affected by the geometry defect of the release levers. For the defect concerning malfunction of the spring effect of the upper release lever, the return rate is 0.025%
10. My product is affected by this information and it slips when tested as requested. How long do I have to return my product?
If your product's serial number is between 18L 0000000 000 and 21G 0000000 000 and slips when tested as requested in our information, you have until December 31, 2022 to return your product.